I'm a foodie and I'm not ashamed to say so. I can eat well no matter where I am or what kind of budget I have. I even know how to make Pop-Tarts taste good. Stick with me and you'll never eat boring again!

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Worth the drive (from nearly anywhere):
Joshua Wilton House, Harrisonburg, Virginia

Wow. My friend Josh (who is a native Harrisonburger - but not related to anyone named Wilton) told me that the food here is "Fu*king delicious." (His words, don't get mad). He was right.

It started with the bread. There were three kinds: crusty French, baguette-style with raisins and Kosher salt crust, herbed biscuits (herb, yet to be determined) - all worth ruining your appetite for.

First course was a grilled peach w/chevre; Stan had the scallops with cheesy grits. Peach was very good, but the scallops made me wish I'd ordered a double batch for my entree - I think they would have done this for me.

Entrees were locally-raised pork with pineapple chutney, cherries, & cauliflower/mash; and spice rubbed Opah (Moonfish, I am told) with finely diced onion, peppers, and mushrooms in fresh corn tortillas and a sweet-potato risotto cake. To be honest, the description given by the server was more pretentious (not her fault), but it was good solid food, and portions were hefty. Room for improvement on the fish - as the whole dish seemed a little under-spiced - but it was cooked perfectly - and still quite good. Pork chop also was perfectly cooked and all of the flavors played nicely together.

Dessert! A milk chocolate Napoleon and Creme Brulee. Now I am not a big fan of milk chocolate (Stan ordered that one!) but it was rich, creamy, and had solid chocolate flavor. If milk chocolate tasted this good all the time, I am sure I would order it more. The Creme Brulee was sable brown. So many times, it seems the chef is too scared to take it as close to burned as it should be - I suppose afraid of ruining the dish and having it come back. No!!! If you are a pastry chef, please make the dish the way it should be and as it was here - perfect. Custard was closer to room temperature then what you are usually served - again, I say, thank-you to the chef - dairy is so much better when it is not suffering from hypothermia.

Sadly, this was the best meal of our journey this weekend. Had we known what we were in for, we would have made a second reservation at this restaurant and better spent our resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home